The Health & Temperance Department promotes healthful living to help people have happier, healthier lives and be better prepared for heaven. We provide a variety of materials to assist churches with organizing health-related programs such as cooking schools and Breathe-Free—a Plan to Stop Smoking. We also promote healthful living in the following ways:
- Poster Contest—Each year, young people in grades 1-8 are invited to enter a poster contest that depicts the reasons one chooses not to drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or use drugs. All finalists from participating entries receive a gift certificate toward Adventist summer-camp fees. The top eight posters are displayed.
- Lifestyle Health Center—An Adventist-operated health center located in Battle Creek provides primary intervention for chronic degenerative disease through natural methods including nutrition, exercise, hydrotherapy, and stress management. To contact them call 616-963-0368.
- Adventist Youth for Better Living (AYBL)—The young people who attend this annual program learn how to prepare skits, jingles, and posters that help their peers to see the value of healthful living.
- Organize a Health Professional Retreat—Each year health professionals (doctors, nurses, dentists, optometrists, and others) will be invited to a weekend of spiritual and educational growth at Lone Star Camp.
- We want to encourage churches to use the materials available to witness to others and win souls for Jesus.